Pozole Verde with Baby Arugula
Reading Time | 3 mins
August 25th, 2020
Makes 4-6 servings
By: Hannah Kaminsky aka Bittersweet Vegan
1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Diced Yellow Onion, Divided
1/2 – 1 Jalapeno, Minced
1 (4.5 Ounce) Package Baby Arugula, Divided
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
16 Ounces (2 Cups) Salsa Verde
2 Cups Vegetable Stock
1 (15-Ounce Can) or 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Pinto Beans, Rinsed and Drained
1 (15-ounce) Can White Hominy, Rinsed and Drained
1 Cup Fresh Cilantro, Roughly Chopped
3 – 4 Thinly Sliced Radishes
1 – 2 Medium Ripe Avocados, Sliced
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat on the stove and add in the oil. Begin to sauté 1/4 cup of the onion along with the jalapeno, adding more or less based on your spice preference, and 3 cups of the arugula. Cook until the onions are translucent, and the arugula has wilted; about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano, and black pepper, stirring to combine, and sauté for another minute for them to release their full flavors. Quickly add the salsa verde to prevent anything from burning, followed by the vegetable stock. Incorporate the beans and hominy next, stirring well.
- Cover and raise the heat to high, bringing the mixture up to a boil.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat before stirring in the cilantro.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with the remaining chopped onion, arugula, sliced radishes, and avocado.
Share this article