Baby Kale and Parmesan Scones
Reading Time | 4 mins
July 21st, 2020
Kale & Parmesan Scones
Makes 8-10 scones
By: Stephanie Prida of Manresa, endorsed by CEO, Matt Barnard
- 2 tbsp or 112 grams of olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced leek (about 1/2 cup; white end)
- 4-5 oz or 128 grams of Plenty kale
- 2.5 cups or 340 grams of cake flour
- 1 tbsp or 12 grams of baking powder
- 2 tsp or 7 grams of sugar
- 2 tsp or 7 grams of salt
- 1 stick butter 114 grams, cold; into 10 pieces
- 11⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 97 grams (31⁄2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, cover cookie sheet w parchment paper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet on medium to low heat and add sliced leeks until softened, don’t let them color, and don’t fret if they do (about 5 minutes). Remove leeks from the heat, transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Add the kale and cook about about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kale just starts to wilt. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl and let cool. Chop the leeks and kale separately, and weigh for the recipe. You should have about 16 grams leeks.
- Combine baking powder, sugar, cake flour, and salt.
- Add butter pieces all at once; cut into dry ingredients until butter turns into little pebbles. Add the kale and leeks, then the Parmesan. Stir until just combined.
- Add 1 cup cream; mix on low speed until the dough just comes together, adding more cream if needed. Don’t over-mix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and form into ball. Roll/press into a rectangle about 1-inch thick, fold over itself into thirds and then press into another 1-inch thick rectangle and cut into 12 squares or triangles.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet; bake until lightly golden on top and bottom, about 20-25 minutes.
Eat same day – keeps for 1 day.
Share this article