Research Scientist, Seedling Production and Plant Propagation
South San Francisco, CA
- Develop new technology and processes with Engineering to create hardware and software associated with more efficient plant production
- Collaborate with Plant Science to determine unique strategies to grow seedlings and implement these strategies at scale
- Build and guide a team of crop scientists to explore potential new crops
- Direct and manage a research budget to make the crop physiology and plant production program effective
- Provide insight on questions regarding plant physiology across departments at Plenty
- Maintain valuable external relationships to insure Plenty stays aware of recent advances in crop physiology
- 4+ years working in Controlled Environment Agriculture
- MS with 6 years experience; or PhD with 3 years experience
- Industry/academic experience in crop physiology or related field
- Experience designing experiments and managing others to answer scientific questions
- Experience in the greenhouse and/or indoor growing space
- Basic knowledge of hydroponic farming systems, including lighting, control systems, fluid systems etc.
- Demonstrates creative thinking around problem solving; flexibility, and comfort dealing with evolving problems
- Exceptional communication skills, self-driven, and capable of driving projects with minimal oversight
- Excited to work in a rapidly changing work environment with multiple demands.
- Experience working with engineers and operations department to translate and implement scientific findings to operations or product development
- A passion for food, committed to changing how the world grows food
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Share this job