Embedded Hardware Engineer
South San Francisco, CA
In this role you will you will be responsible for the design of custom light control drive circuitry. This includes leading and executing on initial concept creation, design for cost, schematic design, layout and, testing and manufacturing. The electrical engineering team at Plenty is small and cross-collaborative. You will work closely with the mechanical, controls, automation, plant science, and software teams to come up with specifications, complete the design, and finally test/validate it in the field. We are working to build the world’s most efficient farms, and to accomplish that requires significant data collection, control and power use optimization - something this industry has not seen before.
- Architect hardware based solutions for farming that set Plenty apart from everyone else in this space
- Design embedded boards with wired and/or wireless communication features and support for sensing input and power conversion control.
- Complete schematic capture, PCB layout, and validation of your designs
- Work hand in hand with our firmware engineers to create elegant, productized solutions
- Work with the interdisciplinary team to deploy and integrate your hardware with the full system
- Support supply chain in getting your designs manufactured
- Mentor and encourage junior team members
- At least 4 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Detail oriented mixed signal hardware design skills
- Experience selecting processor platforms (preferably familiarity with ARM)
- Familiarity with common power conversion topologies
- Experience with 2.4 GHz and sub-GHz wireless technologies
- Strong understanding of digital protocols such as SPI, I2C, UART, 1-Wire and Modbus in both hardware and software
- Experience writing low level C
- Strong understanding of the full design cycle from architecture through design, to BOM procurement, to board fabrication and assembly, to testing
- Experience with mid-to-high volume manufacturing
- Experience with CAD software (preferably Altium)
- Experience with automated testing a plus
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Share this job