Thermal Modeling and Analysis Engineer
South San Francisco, CA
The engineers at Plenty are revolutionizing the way humans grow food. We are seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer for our Thermal Systems team to help create the most efficient farms that the world has ever seen.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer on the Thermal Systems team, you will be developing the environmental control systems which enable Plenty to grow the world’s best produce. And by engineering the most energy efficient systems possible , you will be helping drive prices to a point where our produce will be available to everyone. In this role, you will be part of a passionate and dynamic team that is developing new technology from the ground up.
- Drive first-of-its-kind HVAC and thermal system design in an environment that values innovation and system design at the limits of physics
- Build, validate and own full farm resource models tracking use of energy, water, CO2 and nutrient
- Model air flow through the unique farm environment using CFD
- Leverage heat transfer and thermodynamics fundamentals along with 1-D modeling tools (Simulink, Matlab, GT) to optimize thermal system design
- Answer critical design questions through modeling results
- Develop and run experiments to validate modeling results
- Work with cross-functional teams to understand the implications of modeling results and drive system level farm optimization
- Strategize with market deployment, engineering, product design, and procurement teams to deliver the most efficient farms at the lowest prices.
- Support HVAC system and equipment validation through comparison between modeling results and commissioning data
- Demonstrated experience building and validating world class thermal system or energy models for innovative or unique applications
- Thorough knowledge of the engineering fundamentals and the underlying physics of the systems you have modeled
- Experience driving design and controls changes through model based optimization
- Deep intellectual curiosity and compulsion to understand the details
- Great communicator who can explain complex technical concepts to non technical audiences
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or similar (Ph.D. prefered)
- Exceptionally collaborative
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Share this job