Plant Science team is in the early stages of a rapid-growth phase. Success in this area is critical to the advancement of Plenty’s mission to bring delicious, nutritious, low-cost produce to people around the world. As Plant Sciences Research Manager, you will work closely with the Chief Scientific Officer to prioritize, supervise, and strategically guide research to drive business outcomes.
- Will work with the Plant Sciences Operations manager to prioritize research opportunities with the right mix of short-term, mid-term, and long-term goals.
- Responsible for ensuring that the research that Plant Sciences is executing aligns with the vision, mission and values of the company, and are creatively approached to ensure that Plant Science continues to create and capture massive value for the company in obvious and non-obvious research paths.
- Be the science expert responsible for ensuring that the experiments are well designed and aligned with the needs of the business.
- Must be flexible, and comfortable operating in chaos, focussing on the right outcome, and asking scientists to stretch themselves to find the right mix of expediency, quality, creativity and rigor in their research.
- Must be wise in guiding what research is done at Plenty, and how it is done at Plenty.
- You must be thoughtful and creative with how Plenty uses experimental design, statistical analysis, and larger questions to ensure that we are going faster, driving more meaningful outcomes, and staying aligned with current and future goals.
- Help Plant Scientists adopt flexible, thoughtful and creative attitudes towards their research.
- Ensure that the team is asking the right questions and lead them in the process of becoming more creative and strategic in their approaches.
- Help the Plant Science team understand where and how to compromise in ways that improve the practical application of experiments.
- 5+ years of project and people management experience
- MA or PhD in a scientific field
- Experience managing or running complicated, cross disciplinary projects
- Strong systematic thinking and attention to detail
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- Demonstration of active and high-quality communication around complicated things
- Comfort with fast-paced change and ability to adapt to new goals
- Obsession with meaningful, measurable outcomes
- Experience in R&D and/or new product development a plus
- Comfort with uncertainty and making decisions with incomplete information
- Ability to dig into data, synthesize results, and glean insights
- Experience in agriculture strongly preferred
- Continued desire to learn
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.
Share this job