Construction Project Manager
We are on a mission to grow plenty of fresh food for everyone, everywhere. We are building the world’s largest, most technologically advanced, indoor vertical farms. Using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need, our farms are designed to secure our food future.
Our people and teams are how we make our mission possible. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Join us as we rewrite the rules of agriculture, and we’ll bet our berries you’ll be rewarded with innovative and collaborative teammates, a supportive environment, diverse career opportunities and meaningful work.
About the role
Plenty is looking for a Construction Project Manager to join our Deployment team. The Deployment team oversees Plenty’s deployment projects from planning, preconstruction activities, procurement, simulation, installation, commissioning, and turnover to customers. In this role, you will work closely with the rest of the Construction and Deployment team to facilitate building our farms, bringing Mother Nature indoors to provide fresh, nutritious food year round. You will manage multiple work streams ranging from full-scale farm construction, future farm deployments, and facility upgrades. You ensure that projects are completed on time, within budget, and meet quality and safety standards. You coordinate resources, manage schedules, lead teams, and maintain effective communication with clients and stakeholders. You mitigate risks, enforce safety protocols, and maintain project documentation. Ultimately, your role is to successfully deliver construction projects by efficiently managing all project aspects from start to finish. As a Construction Project Manager for an indoor, vertical farming company, unlike any other organization, you will get an opportunity to bring the future of farming to life in the greater Richmond area.
What you'll do
- Lead the day to day construction of indoor vertical farms and facilities
- Travel up to 25% to various project sites
- Manage contractor contracts to ensure all deliverables are received in a timely fashion, and construction progresses according to schedule
- Drive resolution to Requests For Information (RFIs), Submittals, Field Observation Reports, and other construction administration requirements, to promptly address issues impacting project cost, schedule and quality
- Review and validate change orders with contractors in response to changes in the contract documents and assist with recommendations for approval
- Monitor the project team’s work, including onsite construction performance and progress in line with the project schedule, in collaboration with a Schedule Manager consultant
- Track construction budgets and schedules, in collaboration with the Construction and Deployment teams
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to ensure proactive coordination of site requirements and deadlines to enable Owner Equipment installations
- Manage the Building Commissioning Agent consultant to ensure proactive planning and timely execution of the Commissioning Phase
- Meet as needed with authorities having jurisdiction to resolve building permit issues and other issues that impede Plenty from meeting their build timelines.
- Contribute to pre-construction design coordination, constructability reviews, and value engineering exercises with both internal and external members of the design and construction team to drive project costs down.
- Assist in writing and distributing bid packages that clearly define scope and general provisions and negotiate contractor scopes of work for GMP agreements.
- Review and verify monthly pay applications and invoices for contractors, consultants, and vendors, in collaboration with a Cost Manager consultant.
- Author monthly construction progress reports and meeting minutes, including risk identification and mitigation tracking.
- Coordinate with other Project Managers for supply chain logistics, owner equipment, commissioning, health and food safety, and farm operations to ensure timely delivery of materials, people, processes and systems to operate the farm once it is built.
What you’ll bring to the table
- 7+ years of progressive Construction Project Management experience
- Education or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Construction, Architecture, Engineering, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- Construction management experience for interior fit-outs with robust MEP systems, such as food and beverage processing facilities, data centers, or labs and a proven ability to manage equipment installations and building commissioning processes
- Ability to manage cost estimating with a working knowledge of cost control, budgeting, contracts, billing, and forecasting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for internal and external communications
- Experience in a fast-paced technology environment, with the ability to navigate ambiguity, drive solutions, think creatively and provide innovative solutions and influence strategic change and initiatives where prudent
- Engage with internal customers, cross-functional partners, and other internal organizations, demonstrating your ability to drive consensus
- Knowledge of Bluebeam, Procore, Primavera 6, Google Sheets and Excel, or similar platforms and software
- Expertise with reading & understanding construction documents and specifications
- Can-do attitude with an unquenchable desire to improve processes and outcomes
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply