Public Relations Manager
Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of ho we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
We’re on the cusp of the most exciting time in Plenty’s history. After nearly a decade of Research & Development, the upcoming launch of Plenty’s first commercial-scale farm in Compton will jumpstart our journey to bring fresh produce to everyone. Central to advancing Plenty to the next phase of growth is the growing Communications team, and the PR (Public Relations) Manager will play a key role in those efforts.
Plenty is looking for a PR Manager who will help shape the next phase of Plenty communications. We have an incredibly rich, multi-faceted story you’ll help us tell – technology innovators who built our platform from the ground up, pioneers rewriting the rules of agriculture and farmers changing the future of food. The PR Manager will work closely with the Communications Director to create and execute plans that build Plenty’s brand. This role presents the opportunity to have a significant impact, from creating and running programs to thinking outside the box to shape stand-out earned media campaigns.
- Conduct proactive and news-based media outreach to increase Plenty’s visibility
- Build go-to relationships across a broad range of media including business, technology, broadcast, consumer and regional
- Create and lead a media sampling program that generates product coverage
- Manage inbound media opportunities
- Serve as the day-to-day contact for Plenty’s PR agency, supporting their success and collaborating on projects
- Lead speaking and awards programs, including identifying high-impact opportunities and developing winning submissions
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners including marketing, creative, community and sustainability to bring brand stories to life
- Own coverage monitoring and reporting through the Cision platform
- Support PR planning, messaging and media training
- Event planning and logistics
- Travel up to 10% of the time
- Others duties as assigned
- 5+ years of experience in communications, including at agency
- Proven track record driving both news-based and proactive top-tier coverage
- Excellent sense of how to craft newsworthy stories
- Experience telling technology and science stories with an ability to break down complex topics
- Excellent writer, able to draft compelling pitches and comprehensive announcements with minimal investment of time
- Ability to build programs from the ground up and manage them to achieve goals
- Effective coach, able to prep and guide spokespeople to be impactful and deliver key messages
- Experience working with both technology and consumer brands
- Collaborative team player willing to roll up their sleeves and get things done
- Creative, out-of-the box thinker and problem solver
- Organized multitasker who thrives in a fast-paced environment
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply
Plenty’s target compensation range for this role is $118,200 - $130,000 for this location. Actual compensation is commensurate with experience and alignment with role requirements.