Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
- Become an expert in our latest suite of farm technology
- Design new equipment and systems for research environments and prototype farms such as lighting, thermal, nutrient, grow containers, automation equipment, etc.
- Install and commission new prototype equipment in research spaces and bring lessons learned back to Design Engineers
- Troubleshoot fluid, thermal, lighting, automation, and other electromechanical systems
- Collaborate with Growers, Plant Scientists, Operators, and Engineers to define requirements, capture learnings, and improve designs
- Travel to our facility in South San Francisco, California for hands-on integration work and face-to-face collaboration with our Engineering team, as well as farm sites to support commissioning and operation
- Collaborate with Supply Chain and Facilities teams and coordinate with suppliers and construction contractors to ensure timely procurement and installation
- Champion safety best practices and collaborate with the Safety team to ensure best practices are incorporated into designs and processes
- Education or experience equivalent to a B.S. or higher (e.g. M.S.) in Mechanical Engineering or a similar field
- 2+ years experience designing and building electromechanical systems
- A builder and problem solver who thrives in a hands-on work environments
- Experience troubleshooting complex electromechanical systems such as fluid systems, thermal systems, lighting, or automation equipment
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling, preferably in SolidWorks or CATIA
- Experience partnering with suppliers and construction contractors to procure and install equipment
- Experience working in document-controlled and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) driven manufacturing environments
- Knowledge of safe use of basic hand and machine tools and electronic measurement equipment
- Willingness to travel up to 20% of time
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception
- Ensure equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply