Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
Plenty is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join the Devices team. The Devices team develops hardware and firmware devices which are manufactured in high volume for use in our indoor vertical farms. In this role, you will design lighting systems, control equipment, and remote sensing systems and bring a focus on safety, fundamentals of engineering, and complete, robust documentation to the process.
You will be responsible for developing new mixed signal (analog and digital) designs from concept through production and deployment in our farms, including hardware, firmware, and production line test development. The Devices team at Plenty is small, and as such this role will be very fast-paced and hands-on and those with a broad set of skills will be most successful. You will work with cross discipline teams, including Electrical, Mechanical, Thermal, and Plant Science members to understand specifications, develop designs, and control and communication circuitry to reach operational metrics for our farms.
- Collaborate across the organization to develop requirements and specifications for advanced environment sensing, lights, and control systems.
- Evaluate and select sensors from a variety of suppliers and integrate into printed circuit board (PCB) designs to reach accuracy, precision, cost, and lifetime requirements.
- Collaborate cross functionally to select and/or develop circuitry and systems from concept through deployment in production spaces.
- Develop your schematics and circuit board layouts in Altium
- Write firmware in C to meet functional requirements for your products and test scripts in Python to test your designs in a continuous integration pipeline.
- Document designs for mass production including test specifications, installation instructions, and troubleshooting documentation.
- Validate designs meet requirements through a combination of calculation, simulation, and testing and document results.
- Perform diagnosis, repair and failure analysis of issues with existing and new equipment and control systems in production and research environments.
- Guide designs through the regulatory compliance process.
- Travel to support field installations (anticipate less than 10% travel)
- Education or experience equivalent to B.S. and 5+ years of industry experience or M.S. with a focus on designing sensor interface, analog, or mixed signal circuitry.
- Experience working with high voltage, automated testing, Altium Schematic and PCB design, Spice simulation, and Python programming or similar systems.
- Experience developing C/C++ embedded code for multiple different types of MCU's (Microcontroller Units).
- Deep understanding of digital serial interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, and RS485 in both hardware and software. Experience or eagerness to work with wireless protocols.
- Experience with obtaining safety, or other regulatory approvals on mass produced products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills backed by strong analytical skills
- Experience using common lab tools for bring-up and diagnosis like oscilloscopes, meters and power supplies.
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K. If you reside in NYC or Colorado, please send an email to [email protected] to receive compensation info for this role
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply
- Ensure equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable