Manager, Software Engineering
Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
About the role
What you'll do
- Grow and lead a globally distributed team of high-performance engineers with an emphasis on collaboration, diversity and respect
- Manage the operation and maintenance of Kubernetes backend compute platform
- Build & improve the software deployment platform, data driven automated analysis and hardware health monitoring platforms
- Instrumenting for observability and setting Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and Reliability metrics for near-real time telemetry using services such as datadog
- Be the first line of triage for any production services - this team would be responsible for simple bug fixes under the guidance of service owners
- Responsible for ensuring continuous delivery of software and communications to Operations team
- Be a champion for continuous improvement by collecting feedback from the field and relaying it back to the core engineering team
- Evaluate and evangelize new technologies and solutions to push our capabilities
- Manage an on-call rotation, production incidents and help define and implement on-call practices and procedures
What you'll bring to the table
- Education or experience equivalent to a B.S. in Computer Science or similar field and 5+ years of shown leadership, key decision making and process re-engineering experience
- You thrive at communicating, discussing, and championing reliability efforts
- You are excited about building, leading, and enabling exceptional and highly collaborative engineering teams
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale distributed applications on cloud
- Experience leading customer facing systems in a high uptime 24/7 environment
- Experience with the following types of tools/frameworks:
- Configuration management, build and continuous integration/delivery (CI/CD) tools such as CircleCI, Gitlab
- System Administration including Linux internals, TCP/IP, DNS, load balancing technologies
- Container administration and development utilizing Kubernetes, Docker, Kustomize, Helm, etc.
- Infrastructure as code frameworks such as Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, etc.
- Monitoring tools such as Datadog, grafana, prometheus, etc.
- Expertise analyzing complex applications, database, network, and Operating System issues across a distributed large scale customer facing system
Type of Role
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception