Mechanical Engineer (Contract)
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet. The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that.
The Engineering team at Plenty is on a mission to completely redesign the way humanity grows food in order to satisfy the nutritional needs of the world by making the highest quality produce available to everyone. Doing so requires us to reimagine farms as highly integrated and aggressively optimized engineered systems, drawing upon experience and strategies in modular construction and large scale infrastructure deployments, such as warehouses & data centers. To that end, we are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to lead the integration, and deployment of mechanical components and assemblies in our Grow Spaces. You will play a lead role in our broad and vertically integrated engineering team, closely collaborating with Structural, Thermal, Electrical, Controls, Automation and Software teams, with an emphasis on design for manufacturing, design for assembly, as well as design for construction and deployment. In this role, you will apply your skills, experience, and creativity to accelerate humanity’s progression toward a perpetual food system scaled to meet the needs of our growing and changing world.
Type of Role
What You’ll Do
- Support the deployment of our first full scale farm in Los Angeles, observing the current construction means and methods, and learning the fundamentals of our system architecture
- Perform root cause analysis of field failures and production issues in order to establish containments and countermeasures as we ramp up production and document lessons learned to inform future farm designs
- Document deployment procedures to support handoff to Farm Operations and for use in future farm builds
- Improve upon existing product designs, with an emphasis on design for manufacturing, assembly, construction, and deployment
- Use CATIA V6 to develop designs and drawings; some SolidWorks CAD updates and drawings may be required
- Inspect work done by the construction team to ensure performance and quality; this will require riding in scissor lifts to inspect ceiling mounted equipment
- Define product modules to support offsite fabrication and assembly with reduced onsite construction
- Drive system level analysis to consider trade-offs between function, deployment time, operational costs, and capital investment
- Perform mechanical design, analysis, and validation of components and systems
- Prototype designs and design concepts and iterate based on findings
- Work with suppliers and internal collaborators to define manufacturing process for components and subsystems
- Manage external suppliers to deliver complete products per product requirements
- Lead full product cycle, from initial concept through to successful product launch
- Be a contributor to the design of sub-systems and cross-functional teams with exposure to structure, devices and lighting, conveyance, air handling, and irrigation
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years of professional experience in design-for-manufacturing and lean manufacturing principles, as well as design-for-construction and familiarity with construction means and methods, with an emphasis on modularity
- Outstanding analytical and creative problem solving mindset, with strong drive to harmonize various functions into a product
- Demonstrated understanding of welding and sheet metal fabrication methods
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs
- Experience owning projects, including working independently, managing projects with tight timing constraints, leading and completing multiple design engineering projects
- Demonstrated success in multiple industries, across multiple products types, and multiple product life cycles, bringing products to life from concept through production
- Strong hands-on experience in solid modeling; CATIA V6 required, some SolidWorks drafting may be required
- Strong understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), assembly and dimensional engineering principles in design
- Experience in construction and large assembly shipping, handling, and rigging is a plus
- Experience with controls and sensors; familiarity with running scripts to home and debug automation is a plus
- Experience with plumbing, electrical, ducting, and structural steel is a plus
- Education or experience equivalent to a B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Make sure Equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.