Staff Firmware Engineer
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Staff Firmware Engineer to lead the firmware development of our in-house designed, industry leading sensing and lighting control systems to drive optimal quality and yields. This person will mentor the team through dev ops best practices to ensure the highest level of code quality.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Build best in class firmware platforms for our sensing and lighting control solutions which enable more automated control of our farms
- Work hand in hand with our hardware engineers to create elegant productized solutions
- Work with the interdisciplinary team to deploy and integrate your firmware with the full system from hardware through web based front end user interface
- Be the subject matter expert when troubleshooting issues during development and in the field
- Collaborate to develop and deploy industry standard development operations (DevOps) best practices for firmware development and deployment
- Mentor and encourage junior team members
- Travel less than 1 month per year to deploy and/or troubleshoot systems in the field
What We're Looking For
- Someone with an electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering or similar background.
- A BS and 7+ years of relevant experience or MS and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience developing C/C++ embedded code for multiple different types of MCU's
- Experience in low-power device development with embedded hardware design a plus
- Experience selecting processor platforms (preferably familiarity with ARM)
- Strong understanding of digital serial interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, and RS485 in both hardware and software
- Experience with wired and wireless communication protocols. For example: Bluetooth, Zigbee, Thread, RS485 and Ethernet
- Embedded wireless mesh network development or deployment experience is a bonus
- Experience with RTOS implementation
- A demonstrated record of bringing high volume embedded devices to market (>50k units/year)
- Experience with scripting languages (Python preferred)
- Ability to read schematics and data sheets with Altium experience preferred
- Ability to use common lab tools for bring-up and diagnosis such as oscilloscopes, meters and power supplies
- Experience in any of the following areas is a plus: environmental sensor development, light control or controllers, SQL and database API experience, long-lifetime IoT devices for use in harsh environments, security and encryption implementation for embedded devices
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Select paste all additional bullet points from the following list that applies to the position you’re posting. **Remember to delete the list after selections have been pasted into this section.
- Make sure Equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.