Staff Firmware Engineer
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet. The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Build best in class firmware platforms for our sensing and lighting control solutions which enable more automated control of our farms
- Work hand in hand with our hardware engineers to create elegant productized solutions
- Work with the interdisciplinary team to deploy and integrate your firmware with the full system from hardware through web based front end user interface
- Be the subject matter expert when troubleshooting issues during development and in the field
- Collaborate to develop and deploy industry standard development operations (DevOps) best practices for firmware development and deployment
- Mentor and encourage junior team members
- Travel less than 1 month per year to deploy and/or troubleshoot systems in the field
What We're Looking For
- Someone with an electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering or similar background.
- A BS and 7+ years of relevant experience or MS and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience developing C/C++ embedded code for multiple different types of MCU's
- Experience in low-power device development with embedded hardware design a plus
- Experience selecting processor platforms (preferably familiarity with ARM)
- Strong understanding of digital serial interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, and RS485 in both hardware and software
- Experience with wired and wireless communication protocols. For example: Bluetooth, Zigbee, Thread, RS485 and Ethernet
- Embedded wireless mesh network development or deployment experience is a bonus
- Experience with RTOS implementation
- A demonstrated record of bringing high volume embedded devices to market (>50k units/year)
- Experience with scripting languages (Python preferred)
- Ability to read schematics and data sheets with Altium experience preferred
- Ability to use common lab tools for bring-up and diagnosis such as oscilloscopes, meters and power supplies
- Experience in any of the following areas is a plus: environmental sensor development, light control or controllers, SQL and database API experience, long-lifetime IoT devices for use in harsh environments, security and encryption implementation for embedded devices
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Make sure Equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.