Research Scientist, Sensory and Product Development
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Research Scientist, Sensory and Product Development who will lead sensory and early phase product development activities for Plenty’s business and research objectives. As a part of a cross-functional team you will ensure that the sensory qualities of our products are highly differentiated and exciting.
In this role you will drive the success of Plenty's product development by using creative, data driven approaches for identifying varieties and prototyping products. It will be critical to remain current in emerging sensory methodologies and market trends to aid Plenty in accomplishing our mission to improve the lives of Plants, People, and our Planet.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Develop and maintain sensory and consumer resources for product development and crop research.
- Drive early stages of the product development process, including concept definition, prototyping, and product testing.
- Implement data driven processes to drive efficiencies in variety screening and product prototyping.
- Collaborate with Plant Science, Engineering, Marketing and Business Development for an integrated sensory and product development program.
- Manage detailed projects and schedules that align with overall company goals and timelines.
- Actively communicate and report on sensory research insights and new product development progress.
- Establish and nurture partnerships and collaborations for sensory and consumer research.
- Help shape a culture of innovation and creative thinking, ensuring we continue to be an industry leader in flavorful, differentiated products.
- Participate in special events for product awareness and consumer interaction.
- Occasional domestic travel will be required.
What We're Looking For
- MS degree 3+ years professional experience in sensory research or product development in food, beverage, or variety development or PhD in food science, sensory science, or product development.
- Proficient at selecting sensory methodologies, developing panels, and implementing evaluations for product characterization and development.
- Experience with early phase product development including concept definition, prototyping, and product testing in fresh foods or natural products.
- Skilled in data collection, analyses, and reporting for sensory and consumer research.
- Excellent time and project management skills with the ability to multitask, prioritize, collaborate, and meet deadlines.
- A passion for flavorful food and intellectual creativity.
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivated individual. Ability to work in a startup environment with rapidly developing goals and timelines.
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.