Sustaining Automation Engineer
About RoleWe are looking for a Sustaining Automation Engineer to become the subject matter expert of the equipment assigned to them encompassing Electrical/PLC, Robotics, Mechanical, Machining, Hydraulics/Pneumatics, Conveyor systems, etc. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated individual to join the Plenty Sustaining Engineering Team. This team is responsible for designing new equipment for upcoming model changes, process and automation improvement, Preventative Maintenance documentation, Repair Procedures, and day to day performance of equipment. Successful members of the team will be highly proactive and self-sufficient in pursuing improvement projects, will be able to multitask and refocus efforts immediately to meet constantly shifting demands in a fast-paced environment, and have exceptional leadership ability to drive cross functional collaboration projects to completion on or ahead of schedule.
Type of RoleFull-Time
What You'll Do
- Responsible for troubleshooting and fixing issues with large automated systems including: PLC, HMI devices, Pneumatics, Servo Motors, Vision Systems and Robotics.
- Support maintenance and troubleshoot mechanical, controls, and networking issues in relation to SCADA and DCS systems.
- Hands on investigation and troubleshooting of manufacturing issues with a sense of urgency to prevent line down situations.
- Investigate and implement countermeasures to prevent repetitive breakdowns.
- Designs, improves and implements production equipment/processes, fixtures/jigs for production equipment and assembly to improve product quality, increase productivity or reduce costs.
- Participate in spare part analysis and inventory development, cost reduction and improvement.
- Takes initiative to create, implement and improve PM documents and schedules, under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Perform Engineering Studies and re-qualifications of automated, nutrient, environmental systems and other equipment.
- Optimize existing automated lines to improve performance, robustness and quality.
- Identify and lead projects to resolve and improve equipment reliability.
- Develop business cases for improvement projects and equipment acquisitions.
- Provide training and coaching to engineers and technicians on new and existing equipment and procedures.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Manufacturing, Process Engineering, Automation controls, Quality and Program Management Teams.
What We're Looking For
- Degree in mechanical, mechatronics, electrical engineering or similar field of study or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of system engineering experience, supporting automated manufacturing equipment preferably within food and beverage, ag-tech, automotive or medical device industries.
- Experience and understanding of complex automated manufacturing systems, tools and components (electrical and pneumatic control, sensors, metrology systems, PLCs, 6-axis robots) required.
- Experience with equipment qualifications/validation (URS, FAT, SAT, IQ, OQ & PQ) required.
- Experience in troubleshooting PLCs (Beckhoff, Allen Bradley)
- Hands on experience with controls equipment including PLCs, HMIs, SCADA systems, and networking equipment
- Experience with Solidworks to create models and drawings for equipment designs. Perform Mechanical tooling and fixture design for equipment improvements.
- Writing protocols, test scripts, user requirements, and system design documents experience preferable.
- Ability to troubleshoot and supervise all aspects of electrical control systems and equipment used in our automated manufacturing systems.
- Deep knowledge in the use of industrial automation devices (i.e. sensors, switches, load cells, cylinders, valves, motors, encoders, etc.).
- Demonstrated use of Lean Six Sigma tools for continuous improvement.
- Experience with Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) program and OEE metrics.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written, analytical and organizational skills to manage different priorities
- Self-directed mindset with high energy and works with minimal supervision or guidance
- Working knowledge of the principles of Industry 4.0
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, as determined by project needs.
- Must be willing to participate in an on-call rotation
- Travel up to 40%
Food Safety RequirementsComply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
About PlentyPlenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.