Research Scientist, Crop Physiology
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Research Scientist to apply crop physiology and advanced horticulture techniques for research on controlled environment production of strawberries for Plenty. This role will work with a creative and motivated team to support the research objectives of the Crop Development group.
In this role you will plan and assure completion of horticultural trials involving cross-functional teams. Responsibilities include trial planning and execution, integrating methods to assess yield and stress, improving research systems and horticultural practices, supervision of technical staff, and maintenance of research equipment. It will be critical to stay current with the advancements in horticultural production practices that will aid Plenty in accomplishing our mission to bring delicious, nutritious, low-cost produce to people around the world.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Integrate crop physiology methods and horticultural practices into existing strawberry research to drive yield and plant health.
- Planning, management, and execution of research trials for development of controlled environment production systems in alignment with strawberry program strategy.
- Investigate factors and components of yield for optimizing growth and steering development.
- Support the development of plant propagation methods, advanced production systems, and novel horticultural practices. Keep an up-to-date digital lab notebook and contribute to SOPs.
- Interpret and report on trial results to generate models for plant growth, development, and yield.
- Operate and maintain research instrumentation and grow infrastructure. Keep a stocked, clean, and orderly research environment to promote safety and productivity.
- Supervise technical staff to assist in research efforts as needed and develop, train, and evaluate performance of employees on a continuous basis.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field through attendance of conferences, symposia, and workshops. Follow Company policies and practices while representing Plenty in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Occasional domestic travel will be required.
What We're Looking For
- PhD or Masters plus 3 years of research experience in small fruit horticulture, controlled environment agriculture, plant physiology, or similar field.
- Demonstrated ability for production at research scale, execution of horticulture trials, and completion of research projects.
- Extensive practical experience with assessing physiological components of growth and stress including plant development, nutrition, abiotic/biotic stress, water potential/movement, photosynthesis, respiration, and transpiration.
- Research background in environment control, plant manipulation, or horticulture production.
- Utilize imaging and sensing technologies to increase the precision, frequency, type and amount of data collected during research and production trials.
- Proven ability to increase yield by implementing improved crop production methods along with practical experience with environmental models for plant growth and development.
- Experience with hydroponic or substrate production systems and experience with production plant propagation and conditioning is a plus.
- Strong research, analytical, and communication skills.
- A hard-working, proactive, and self-motivated individual. Ability to work in a startup environment with rapidly developing goals and timelines.
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.