Sr Maintenance Technician, Grow Systems
South San Francisco, CA
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Maintenance Tech, Grow Systems to develop the controlled environment in our farms who will aid our success in building the most efficient plant factory in the world.
About RoleMaintenance Tech, Grow Systems occupy a new, truly unique niche in the indoor farming industry. In this role you will help design, develop and sustain the infrastructure necessary for a profitable, scalable Controlled Environment Agriculture space. Our Maintenance Tech, Grow Systems function across an overlapping range of disciplines encompassing the needs of a commercial horticulture venture from a yield-centric vantage point. They thrive in ambiguity and are adept at disseminating information in a way that highlights actionable items and drives results. This individual is responsible for manipulating and maintaining the efficacy of our nutrient delivery, air handling and lighting systems.
Type of Role
What You'll Do
- Act as the liaison bridging the gap between engineering and horticulture disciplines.
- Work shoulder to shoulder with a team of growers to influence decision making around the design of our infrastructure. Run point on trials for the grower team and be the point person for all physical systems directly interacting with plants
- Target trouble areas and refine processes with our Continuous Improvement team to produce rigorous and consistent solution strategies on the farm. Create preventative maintenance schedules and procedures to ensure that the systems are functional and sustaining.
- Assume a hands-on approach in maintaining every iteration of equipment in a grow space that leverages a high level of automation. Suggest improvements to environmental, lighting and irrigation schedules that affects yield and productivity.
- Master the interdependence of our ever-evolving systems with respect to plant health.
- Be the Subject Matter Expert (SME) and single point of contact when it comes to irrigation, nutrient, lighting, and environmental systems for other teams.
What We're Looking For
- Associate degree in a relevant field (Agricultural Engineering or Horticulture preferred) or minimum 5 years relevant hands-on experience operating a greenhouse or other CEA commercial farm
- Collaborative problem solver with an ability to communicate across varied lanes of expertise.
- An intuitive approach to decision-making using information about a dynamic, living environment - gathered through a digital sensing strategy.
- Exceptional troubleshooting and technical problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of safe work practices, tools, cleaning techniques and personal protective equipment to meet food safety requirements.
- Experience and understanding of food safety practices and compliance regulations.
- Humble, driven team player with an unwavering thirst for knowledge and desire to change the food industry.
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.