Automation Controls Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
About RoleAt Plenty, we are building out a team of engineers to tackle problems that reimagine the way food is grown. In this role, you will work closely with the internal automation team and outside integrators to drive farm automation controls architecture, define company standards, and assist with system commissioning. We are looking for someone who has experience in industrial automation and is excited about the task of bringing modern software development practices and tools into the picture. An ideal candidate has experience writing machine software using industrial controllers, understands electrical systems, and can work closely with our software engineering teams on integration and tool development.
Type of Role:Full-time
What you'll do:
- Work with internal equipment design engineers and external equipment integrators to develop equipment utilizing internally developed libraries.
- Improve the control system library for core automation developed and maintained by Plenty.
- Develop internal tools that enable the automation of the entire software release process.
- Develop tools to aggregate log data and deploy machine parameters to a fleet of machines.
- Define best practices for machine design using an object-oriented software approach.
- Work with the software and data teams to understand and implement data collection and product traceability requirements.
- Interface automation equipment with internal software tools to aggregate machine data in meaningful way.
- Work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
What we're looking for:
- Designing and implementing control architectures from the ground up using an object-oriented approach.
- Programming on different industrial control platforms (Rockwell, Beckhoff).
- Using industrial communication protocols (OPC-UA, ADS, EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP).
- Defining equipment safety systems including networked safety (FSoE, CIP Safety, PROFIsafe).
- Designing clear and easy to use user interfaces at the machine and line level (Ignition).
- Integrating industrial controllers with high level systems (SCADA, MES).
- Designing or troubleshooting electrical systems used in industrial automation.
- Working closely with mechanical engineers and clearly explain controls concepts and select different actuators or control devices.
- Working within a Manufacturing Environment.
- Experience working cross-functionally between organizations
- Demonstrated ability to build on top of already designed foundations, and run changes through testing and change control
- Experience working within steady state production operations teams
- 2-5 years of experience
- Knowledge or understanding in the following areas:
- Programming 6-Axis robots, including vision and safety integration (FANUC, KUKA, Denso).
- Using SQL (MySQL, Postgres).
- Knowledge of revision control (Git).
- Software development using a variety of languages (Python, C#).
- Machine vision for robotic guidance, metrology, or quality inspection.