Senior Research Scientist, Plant Nutrition and Fluids Systems
At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
About the role
We are in the early stages of a rapid-growth phase for new product development. Success in this area is critical to the advancement of Plenty’s mission to bring exciting, delicious, low-cost produce to people around the world. As Senior Scientist you will be responsible for coordinating detailed, cross-functional work, and steering new production designs and methods for Plenty products from the concept stage to market.
Type of Role
What you’ll do
- Solve CEA production problems with applied knowledge of plant nutrition and fluid systems by working in cross-functional groups to establish design requirements for large scale fluids systems.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to design and test nutrient delivery systems and filtration apparatuses for a diversity of crop species.
- Collaborate with plant science to develop crop specific nutrition programs to optimize for plant health, yield, and quality.
- Be the plant nutrition expert who engages with engineering teams and provides design guidance based on knowledge of potential design
- impacts on plant health and production.
- Utilize environmental sensing systems to improve understanding of the plant experience and define key indicators that improve efficiency in nutrient delivery and uptake.
- Test integrated systems equipment to determine process impacts on yield.
- Conduct analyses of fluids distribution in relation to chemical characteristics to identify areas of continuous design improvement.
- Compile and analyze plant tissue analyses to establish environment and crop specific nutrient thresholds based on life stage.
- Assist in the establishment of new crop best management practices.
- Assist in establishing new crop production systems in current and future farms.
- Analyze trial results and provide feedback to leadership to inform decisions that direct the development process and critical path to product launch.
What We’re Looking For
- MS in Plant Sciences, Horticulture, Agronomy, or related field with a focus on plant nutrition
- Minimum 5+ years’ industry experience in agriculture or horticulture
- Minimum 5+ years’ of operational management experience
- Minimum 2+ years’ experience in controlled environment agriculture research
- Experience optimizing plant nutrition for a diversity of crop species
- Experience formulating hydroponic nutrient solutions
- Strong critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively amongst peers and across business units
- Adaptability to a fast-paced environment and evolving/new goals
- Ability to analyze data, synthesize results from multiple sources, and make concise recommendations
- Ability to cope with uncertainty and the potential requirement to make decisions with incomplete information
- Strong passion for working with produce and experience with balancing a broad set of scientific disciplines
- Proven ability to be a high output individual
- Continued desire to learn
Plenty is here to change the way people eat, making extraordinary flavor and nutrition more available in a way that's better for people and the planet. We build farms that can put craveable flavor first while delivering exceptional yields. And our produce is always pesticide-free and grown using less than 1% of the land and 5% of the water of outdoor farming.