Let’s be honest. Avocado toast gets all the love, but why should avocados have all the fun? We are seriously crushing on berry toast these days.
This berry toast recipe is so tasty, we whip it up pretty much every weekend. It’s got everything you could want: crunchy bread, savory cheese, sweet fruit, and even a pop of herb-y freshness. Plus, the compote is so easy to make we can’t believe we didn’t try it sooner.
Make your mornings a little brighter with this delicious twist on a classic.
- 4 pieces sliced rustic loaf bread
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- ½ lemon (zest and juice)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ fresh mint sprig
- ½ cup blackberries
Putting It All Together
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, sugar and lemon zest to a boil.
- Once boiling, add ⅓ cup blackberries (reserving ⅔ cup for garnish), blueberries, raspberries, and thyme, and cook on high heat for about 10 minutes until blueberries burst.
- Lower heat, stir in lemon juice, and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Remove thyme sprigs and let cool.
- Spread ricotta cheese on toasted bread and top with a generous spoonful of your fresh compote. Garnish with basil, mint and reserved blackberries.
What’s your favorite toast topping? Follow us on Instagram and let us know!